My current favorite quote, From The Color Purple
"Too late to cry, Miss Eleanor Jane, say Sofia. All us can do now is laugh."

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A New Chapter Unfolds

I am an aspiring writer who hails from the Big Island of Hawaii, a lonely volcano in the middle of a deep, wide ocean, accompanied only by its seven sister islands. I found that my high school creative writing class changed my life by allowing me to express the rage and frustration of a particularly difficult high school year in a creative manner, providing an outlet for pent-up emotions. As I happier with the direction my writing was heading, I was urged to start a blog for everything I write, inside creative writing and out. Therefore, without further ado, my entry from the first day of class:

-----
"It begins as a murmur. Long and low, it hovers hesitantly on the very threshold of conscious presence, tickling the senses with its modicum of physicality. It changes, however, faint vibrations panning out into recognizable noise that arrives in the ears and begins its faint percussion solo. It turns into a pulse, weak but insistent and persistent. Seeking growth and rebelling against the tight confines of its spatial prison, it makes itself louder, beats more insistently.

It becomes the banging of a steel drum accompanied by the raucous clash of bronze cymbals and the jangling of a tangled wind chime that gongs its displeasure at how cramped the room has become before ascending to a din of thumping beats and a cacophony of ringing intonations. It bulges, bubbles, strains at its bonds and pops!, blasting out into the street and reverberating drunkenly off the walls, careening into trash cans and shattering glass.

It rises above like a vengeant demigod and roars in righteous rambunctiousness. It screams, raising its massive arms and touching the heavens with claps of thunder. It rages, reaching a tantamount and spontaneously ending, leaving the wind to rattle the broken glass in the streets.

Inside an empty box, nothing can be heard, because it begins as a murmur."
-----

The prompt for this piece was 'beginnings,' so I decided to take that in the most literal way. This was an experiment in sensory input and expansive use of language. My pieces eventually develop some plot, I promise.

Until next time,
Elliott

No comments:

Post a Comment